Friday, January 3, 2014

Rhyan: Starting Pre-K

Can I just take a moment and tear up about the fact that my baby girl is old enough to be in PRE-K?! I know, I'll say that every year, with every new milestone. But this is the first big one, so it felt pretty big! I mean, our life went from completely school free with no real schedule to keeping with a daily schedule of school! It felt like a bigger deal than it sounds when I type it :-)

I had gone to orientation for her school a couple of weeks prior and Mrs Stacy, her teacher, had given us a packet. In the packet, she has asked the parents to take a picture of the kids doing something to get ready for school the night before the first day. I asked Rhyan what she wanted to do and she said "read some books!". She loves her big picture storybook bible so that was the one she chose!
We had to send in the picture on the first day so the kids could introduce themselves and share how they got ready for school :-)





While Rhyan was getting ready for school, Mack was living life on his nebulizer :-( Poor guy!
Her first morning of school was Tuesday, September 3rd. I took the day off. I NEVER take days off. Ever. But I just had to be there to take her to her first day of school and pick her up!

I also made sure she got to pick her breakfast... pancakes "like a 4, mommy, cause I'm 4!", sausage and a banana were her pick, with milk, of course. Gotta make sure she was going on a full tummy!


She eats lunch at school each day and one of the BIG things Mrs Stacy said each kid needed to work on before starting school was being able to be independent at lunch time. That means being able to open your own lunch box, open your foods, clean up after yourself and access your drinks. Some things can be hard (like applesauce) and I honestly didnt know if she could do it all so we did several trial runs and she opened EVERYTHING herself and cleaned up after herself nicely! Made me super proud!

Of course we had to do a "1st day of pre-k" pic. I thought it would be cute to use cute paper for her sign, but then the ink didnt show up so well! :-( You can click to enlarge the pic. And btw, SHE chose how she wanted her hair done and chose her bows.
Her sign says: Rhyans First day of PreK
9/3/13
Hebron Christian Academy
When I grow up I want to be: A princess named Ariel!
LOVE this pic of my baby girl!
She had to take a backpack with her lunchbox in it, a change of weather appropriate clothing and wear her fish tag around her neck for the carpool workers to help her find the right class. I told her all about how I would have to drop her off and couldnt walk her in and she was seriously fine with it! She said "i wont cry! i'm excited! you dont cry mommy". Bless her heart :-)


So Mack and I had the day (well, 4 hours) to OURSELVES! I dont think I've ever had JUST Mack... I learned that day that he is a totally different kid when he has me to himself. I'll just say, I am now a bit concerned about the jealousy he shows when Rhyan is around. I never realized it was jealousy, but he is a MAMA's boy! Wow! He was thrilled to have me all to himself all day!

Here came Rhyan to be picked up in the car riders line! (EVERYONE has to carpool, btw)



 

 
Her first words when she got in the car were "that was FUN Mommy! I want to go back tomorrow!"

Those words made my day!!!

I asked all about her day and she was sure to tell me that it was great and that she couldnt wait to tell me all about it but that we would talk after Mack went down for his nap.Yes, she really said that.

So after we got home and Mack went down for nap, I told her I wanted to know everything. I about died at her response! "Mommy, I want to hear ALL about YOUR day with Mack, first!". I told her we went and got his hair cut. Historically, this has been a tragic event for Mack so she asked if he cried. I told her that he did SO well and she said "Oh mommy! Did you give him a sucker? He deserved a sucker for no crying!" followed by "When he wakes up from nap I'm going to say 'Mack! i'm SO proud of you for not crying and getting your hair cut! You are such a big boy".

I'm telling you, she's made to be a "mama" of some sorts :-)

She did tell me that she loves Mrs Stacy and Mrs Amy. That she did NOT make any friends because they are too busy and you are supposed to be a good listener and not talk. That they went to the gym because the playground is not finished and that they did music time and read a book. And that she wanted to go back tomorrow :-)

Wow, what a GREAT start! We have been so blessed by Rhyan's love of pre-k and Hebron preschool and the fabulous program they put together! We are off and running!!!

No comments: