Thursday, July 15, 2010

Really? I mean, really?

From my pregnancy with Rhyan i have something called melasma. You can read about it here. Basically, its a darkening of the skin that happens during pregnancy on the cheeks, forehead and upper lip. I went to the dermatologist about it and got some cream to use but it dries out my skin so badly that i would rather not. So i'm waiting until the fall and will have a series of chemical peels done.

I'm pretty bothered by it. It looks like i have a mustache when i'm not wearing makeup (and sometimes even when i do!). Jeff says he doesnt see the big deal and that its not that noticable, but i've had THREE people THIS WEEK say something about it.

One patient who has BAD discoloration of her face (like, not melasma... WAY worse) said "oh, you must have what i have". All i could think was "OMG, it doesnt look THAT bad, does it?!"

Then last weekend my cousin asked where i had been to get a "coon's tan" (yes, he's redneck). I just didnt answer and pretended not to hear.

But yesterday topped it all... Dr Cohen asked if i had been punched in the cheek.

NOOOOOO. I have flippin skin discoloration from carrying a child. Yet another wonder of being a woman :-(