I'm having to combine into one post both of my appointments because I've just been too busy to post! Life has been so full of so many good things that have kept us on the go, go, go!
So, at my 34 week checkup, I had a pretty long appointment that I found to be pretty helpful. Stats first!
Weight gain total: 26lbs
My BP: ? Cant remember, but it was normal
Baby Heart Rate: 145
Fundal Height: 37cm (should be equal to the # of weeks preggo, so i'm measuring "big" by 3cm)
Estimated Baby Weight: 6lbs
I asked Dr Pohl at this appointment about the link to Rhyan's torticollis to my being made to wait to push for over an hour after reaching 10cm. I think I offended him :-(
Basically, this is what he said:
1. Whatever Dr ever suggested that this part of the labor could have caused Rhyan's torticollis didnt know what he was talking about (it was Rhyan's surgeon who suggested labor can be related to torticollis, not her pediatrician). Torticollis, according to Dr. Pohl, is caused largely by the positioning of the baby in the last trimester. It takes a couple of months for a muscle to form and it is in this time frame that the baby's head/neck is "stuck" in one position causing the muscle to form short (which is torticollis, or "twisted neck"). Makes total sense and I agree with Dr Pohl.
2. According to Dr P, Vaginal birth babies vs C-section babies experience similar occurrence rates of torticollis, therefore confirming that the labor process has very little if anything to do with it.
3. The reason I did not start pushing w/ Rhyan at 10 cm is because reaching 10cm is only part of the equation. The baby must also be in the correct "station" (far enough down in the pelvic bones) to come out before you push. The wait time between reaching 10cm and starting to push is called "laboring down". This is something that they allow so that it gives your uterus a chance to do the majority of the work for you, getting the baby into proper station before pushing, therefore allowing for the shortest pushing time (hopefully). I pushed with Rhyan for less than an hour which is considered very good for 1st time moms so I guess it was an effective method. Basically, you can let your uterus do the work for you or you can push a couple extra hours. Again, this makes total sense. I just wish someone would have said that while I was sitting there wanting to push (of course, i could have asked what the holdup was...).
4. "Laboring Down" doesnt happen the second go round so it is a non-issue. Babies come much faster (generally speaking) and Dr Pohl estimated that after I reach 10cm this go round, the baby will be born within about 20-30min. YAY! You know i'm hoping that estimate is accurate!
I'm a girl who likes information so while for a lot of women who are in labor hold to the idea that "less is more" in regards to info, I'm just the opposite. I like to know the "why" to each decision being made. This conversation with Dr Pohl was VERY helpful in reminding me that i have a very good dr who is always aware of his patients situations :-)
I felt, however, that I had made him feel like I thought he had done something to cause Rhyan's issue so at this past visit, I cleared it up by letting him know that I thought the nurses were not keeping him informed and that I know he's always taken good care of all of his patients (which is why all of us continue to refer friends!) including Me! So i feel better. (and yes, i'm aware that he probably hadnt thought another thing about it, but i'm hormonal and a girl and i worry!).
Ok, so that was week 34. At week 36 my stats:
Total Weight Gain: 27lbs
My BP: 85/55
Baby's Heart Rate: 145
Fundal Height: 39 (3 weeks "big)
Estimated Baby Weight: 7lbs
Cervical Changes: NONE! :-(
Dr Pohl was running behind so I didnt want to hold him up with any questions but I have a few I want to keep in mind for this coming Monday's appointment:
1. What kind of circumcision do you do? I've been told "plastibell" is the best and requires the least maintenance? I'm sure this is what he does b/c he's told us the only thing we'll have to do is keep vaseline on it to keep the diaper from sticking to it until it heals. No cleaning necessary. But I'd still like to check to see the technical term for what he does.
2. Do I need to Pre-Register at the hospital?
3. Can Rhyan come to the hospital? Who do I contact to get the rules?
4. IF I go into labor, what symptoms do I need to have in order to call him and go to the hospital? (I'll be more concerned w/ knowing this if I show cervical changes next visit, which I dont really anticipate... I think we'll be looking at a 39 week induction labor...)
So, the baby is growing and we're looking forward to meeting him! Although, Jeff has given me strict instructions that I cant have the baby before the end of his school year. HA! He clearly doesnt understand how uncomfortable the last few weeks of pregnancy are or he wouldnt DARE suggest that I stay pregnant one second longer than I have to be! MEN! :-)
I've got some posts to catch up on, so stay tuned! I'll try to get them done this week!
No comments:
Post a Comment