Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Rhyan's 4 year Checkup

Oh my goodness, how I dreaded this check up!haha! EVERYONE told me about how she would get 4 shots and would be old enough to know what was going on and be traumatized by it. Ugh...

Luckily, they start off with the easy stuff  :-). And auditory test! She passed with no issues... so I told her that the Dr checked her ears and i KNOW she hears perfectly so theres NO excuse for not obeying. HA!

I did encourage her to take her monkey with her for comfort in case she was worried. She didnt seem worried at all, but I figured if she didnt need it and had it, thatd be ok.
She weighed 36lbs!
And was just shy of 42"! My tall girl!
We had practiced with her doctors kit at home a good bit before the appointment to try to prepare her for what would happen and she did great with having her blood pressure taken!
And even did FANTASTIC with the finger prick! I had warned her of this, as well, and no tears!
The doctor and I discussed a couple of concerns:
1. Rhyan snores. The Dr (Dr Lawson) asked after she looked in her nose if Rhyan snores or not and I tol her yes (I also assured her that we only know because Jeff let her sleep in the bed with him ONE TIME over Thanksgiving break [he and the kids took a short trip with his parents while i stayed home and worked] at the Mountain house and said he didnt sleep all night because she snored! haha!). She said that its of concern because she could tell that her adenoids are swollen and that snoring at this age isnt great. She said it causes slightly labored breathing, which as an adult can be ok (less than ideal but ok) but that labored breathing causes stress on the heart and for it to start SO young means more stress than the heart needs to handle at such a young age. Basically, long term its a problem. So she gave us some flonase for Rhyan to use and said to keep an ear out. Rhyan used it great! (even dosed herself each night!) but it didnt seem to make much of a difference. Then again, she's not snoring as much now so i'm wondering if it was allergies or something that made her snore that night in the mountains? We are keeping an ear out and will discuss it at her 5 year check up if its still a concern, or sooner if it gets worse.

2 Rhyan watches tv out of the side of her eyes. She almost purposefully turns her head and looks out of the corner of her eyes. They did more extensive eye tests and she's fine, so we agreed that its likely habitual and we remind her to look straight or threaten to turn off the tv now ;-)

Then, came the SHOTS! There were 3. I had also gone ahead and talked to Rhyan about this long before the appointment. I went back and forth in trying to decide what to do. I didnt want her getting worked up (which she can tend to do) but I also felt it was important to be honest with her because I always am very up front about things with her. I PROMISED her that I would hold her hands and pray with her and that it would be super FAST! And just pinch a tiny bit. I did pray with her right before the nurse came in and she did get a little worked up, but hello, she's no dummy. She would have figured it out whether I told her up front or now. So overall, I was glad that we discussed it. She really did great. She cried for about a minute but overall I was proud.

So she totally deserved and earned her treat, which she chose.... a trip to get her nails painted!!! I had not let her have her fingers painted until then (only toes) because she had struggled with stopping sucking her fingers at night. But thanks to Mavala Stop (totally recommend it!) she had stopped several months before her birthday and I promised to let her have them painted. That, and a piece of gum ;-)


I cant believe this sweet girl is already FOUR! She is such a blessing to her daddy and me!

No comments: