I find myself giving instruction in a kind voice to my children and expecting them to comply with the same kindness that I have exemplified. And when/ they do not, because they are tired or hungry or in a bad mood, testing limits or generally just not impacted by my words, i immediately find myself irritated at their lack of obedience. Frustrated that they did not offer a "yes, mommy" with a smile (of course!). The next thing I know, my voice is raised or I'm using a harsh tone to accomplish this task of giving instruction.
Eventually the instruction is obeyed, but, alas, all of us have lost our smiles. We are now all grumpy. And frustrated.
Whats worse is when later in the day my daughter (who is 3) asks for t.v. time (for the 100th time) and when I respond with "no, maam, you've already had tv time today", she replies with " I SAID I WANT TO WATCH TV". The tone is oh, so recognizeable and it dawns on me; my daughter is a mirror.
And I dont like what she reflects.
That is what has led me to begin this online study. It is with a heavy heart of my own convictions and a heart that is also full of hope that my family can function differently. That this old dog can be taught some new tricks. And that my children, as well as my husband and myself, will be the beneficiaries.
Will you join me?! Do you, too, desire to see change in your family's discipline toolbox and yet, you dont quite know what to do or how to go about it? Might I suggest that you click on this link to Shepherding a Childs Heart, order a copy and lets offer one another some accountability and encouragement!
I have read this book now twice. Applied a few things here and there and have been impressed with the improvements I've seen. I know it works. I also know that, like everything else in life, it is easy to get slack concerning the discipline of our children... and ourselves. Therefore, I desire accountability!
I will be writing a weekly blog post dedicated to each chapter in this book. I will post a couple of weekly encouragements and reminders of things to work on during the week (we all know how easy it is to be excited to make change on Sunday and then get bogged down with "life" during the week).
It is my hope and prayer that whomever might join me in this adventure might see great change in their own hearts.... for as we will learn, it is the crux of the matter!
Please leave a comment here or facebook or email me if you plan to join! I'd love to have names of people to be praying for as we embark on this study!
2 comments:
Great great great idea!!!! I already own the book thanks to you...count me in ;)
Love this book!! My women's bible study has been studying this for a while so this is perfect timing! I will have lots of things to share with them through this challenge via the Internet, perfect!! Can't wait!
Post a Comment