Sunday, June 22, 2014

30 week checkup

I had my 30 week check up today. Theres something about the 30 week mark that just makes it feel like the count down has begun for me...

My appt was at 9:45 and I was so glad this appt was not following or including an ultrasound because those appts lately have just been so rushed and I've waited so long. I've been working on a list of questions for him that I've not had time to ask that I was looking forward to getting through.

First off, let me just say that I have REALLY worked on my diet and weight gain this past 2 weeks (since the dreaded 28 week appt where I started measuring 3 weeks ahead...). I'm honestly pretty concerned with having a bigger baby than Mack (he was 8lbs 15.4oz). Our delivery with him was less than ideal and I really dont want to have that again. So while I cant control how big the baby gets due to her genetics, I can certainly be sure to watch my weight gain so that IF we were in a situation of a large baby and delivery complications, i can know I didnt "cause" it (in my own mind... not saying anyone causes theirselves to have huge babies or have complications. but you know how it is as a mom... you feel responsible for everything).

So the blood pressure and weigh in was first....
BP: 88/59. Yes, this is normal for me.
+1lb from last appt (2 weeks, 2 days)
WOOHOO!!! So as of 30 weeks 1 day, I'm up 18lbs total.

I headed to the exam room and waited patiently for Dr Pohl. I was dying to know the fundal height though!

Fundal Height: 33cm. At 30 weeks i "should" be 30 cm.
And here came the tears...

I know he must think I'm crazy, but it honestly scares me! Mack was BIG for me! He got stuck in the birth canal. His cord was around his neck 3 times while he was stuck (a common cause of cerebral palsy). He had shoulder dystocia  (which can cause a tear in the brachial plexus rendering the arm paralyzed!). Am I being overly dramatic? Dr Pohl says no... that it was one of his harder, scarier deliveries. And to think that this baby could be BIGGER (his words) scares me! I want her to be healthy but would also really like to avoid a c-section!

So we discussed it for a bit after he checked her heart rate (143bpm). I told him that I'd really like to try to go into labor naturally and not be induced just because I'd like to experience it for one, and because induction puts me in the hospital for at least an additional day typically. With 2 kids already, thats a long time to be away from them and have someone else have to keep them! :-( BUT, if I dont go into labor on my own by 39 weeks (assuming I continue to measure ahead 3ish weeks), I'm going to be scared to wait. So we agreed that I can try some tricks to try and maybe my body will go on its own. But if not, looks like we will be inducing around the 17th or 18th (39w 3/4 days). *Sigh*

On to my list of questions:
-Id like to try to breast feed and my lactation consultant and I both feel I have "Insufficient Glandular Tissue" (google it) which has made it difficult to produce in the past. I've heard from some women that in addition to "supporting uterine health" that raspberry leaf tea can help with production when the time comes and it is recommended to drink it the last trimester. But i've also heard that it can cause preterm labor. IS IT SAFE? He said its fine. He assured me that it will NOT induce labor but that nipple stimulation will and to not get any bright ideas to start pumping or something to help with milk production ;-)

-We are heading to the beach here soon. What seafood restrictions do I have?
Avoid larger sea fish like sword fish, mahi mahi, etc... but he said shrimp and scallops and crab legs are fine. That for that one week if I'd like to eat one of those daily, that would be fine.

-The whooping Cough vaccine... when is the best time for me (and anyone else) to get it?
As soon as we are ready. The pharmacy should be able to order it and administer it and insurance typically covers this type thing pretty well...

-When should I register at the hospital?
Now is good.

-Ive been googling and I'm pretty sure I have SPD (symphsis pelvic disorder)... aka: pain in my pelvic area when I try to turn over in bed or go to stand, etc. Some days are honestly pretty bad. What can I do?
He suggested getting a postpardum belt at babies r us that will wrap around my hip area. What causes this is that our pelvis is 2 bones and is technically a joint, although not the ball and socket kind, obviously. Sometimes with more pregnancies, the ligaments that hold the joint together stretch out too quickly due to the weight/pressure of the baby and uterus and causes those bones to rub together, causing pain. Wearing the band helps to de-mobilize the area some, although I should expect it to be worse some days as that is normal following a growth spurt by the baby.

That was pretty much it today :-) Here are some pics fro the week!


No comments: