Mommie, Mama, Elizabeth, Trevor and myself trecked to Ellenwood yesterday to visit with some family for a housewarming shower for a relative who is "leaving the nest". We had a great time eating, talking, laughing and eating some more. It was great to see Mommie get to have such a great time with her family (this group we were visiting are her neices and beyond so they become fairly distant cousins for me...). It was totally worth the hike for that, if nothing else :-)
While we were sitting around talking, the conversation somehow got directed at how lazy i was as a kid. How i never put my clothes away, but now am a freak about Jeff putting his away. How i somehow had a stomach ache after every meal that seemingly lasted until the last dish was put away (um, i DO have i.b.s., yo!), etc... We had some good laughs talking about how awful of a kid I was (seriously, i didnt ever get into trouble, but i was a tad bit lazy...). It was all in jest and I was happy for anyone who thought it was funny to get a laugh at my expense.
But then today, after church, Mommie stopped by my house. She was dropping off a couple of dollars for gas money for yesterday (which i told her was NOT needed). But while she was here she said something to the extent that no matter how lazy i was, how many times i hid out in the bathroom and how often i left clothes out, she loved me then and loves me now. Then she gave me a big kiss. :-) Seriously, i about cried! It was so sweet of her to say that. If you know my mommie, you know she's not mushy AT ALL! So it was really, really sweet.
So, why am i sharing our special moment with the whole blog world? Well, besides wanting to have it in my blog book (this is, after all, my online journal that i "let" the world read), I wanted to say that THAT is the kind of Mommy I want to be to Rhyan. That while i know that her teen years are likely to bring heartache and separation in our relationship (dont all mom's of teen daughters go through that to some extent?), that we, like Mommy and I, will get through it and be fine. I want to remember how important it is to be able to laugh at her "shortcomings" in her adult years and let her know that no matter what she may do/not do, I love her.
Just like my Mommie loves me. And that love, my friends, does more for the soul than anything I've ever known :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment