Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Love and War

We started a marriage class at church this past Sunday. There are 4 couples, including our fearless leaders, our Pastor and his Wife. I didnt even have to "drag" Jeff to it. Not that things are "bad" at all, but I think we're both interested to see if we can make this thing called marriage any easier for the two of us.

I thought I'd share a paragraph from the 1st chapter.

Because marriage is hard, sometimes painfully hard, your first Great Battle is not to lose heart. That begins with recovering desire- the desire for the love that is written on your heart. Let desire return. Let it remind you of all that you wanted, all that you were created for.
And then consider this- what if God could bring you your heart's desire? It's not too late. It isn't too hard. You are not too far along nor are you and your spouse too set in your ways. God is the God of all hope. He is, after all, the God of the Resurrection. Nothing is impossible for Him. So give your heart's desire some room to breathe.
What if the two of you could find your way to something beautiful?
THAT would be worth fighting for.

I dont know about you, but i know that i want the best marriage I can have. For me. For our children. For Jeff.

But most of all, I know that this relationship is the one that is most closely relates to my relationship with Christ. We (his children, his church) are referred to as his "bride" so often in the New Testament. And i know that my relationship with Jeff and how i treat him will either bring God glory, or it wont. It will either please my Heavenly Father (and build up my husband) or it wont. Either way, it is a relationship I will answer to Him for.

So for these, and may other reasons, I am excited to start this journey of growing in a closer relationship with my husband, and the Lord.

No comments: