Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Clock

My friend Rachael had commented on Rhyan's room and thought I should share about the clock I had put in her room... I had not thought of doing this, but after she mentioned it I thought, "brilliant!".

My Daddy was a great woodworker. He loved working with different kinds of woods. Poplar wood was a favorite of his along with oak, cherry, etc... the "real" stuff if you know what i mean. Mommie became quite good at painting and so the two of them together made some of my favorite, most sentimental things that I have in my possession. This clock falls into that category.

I dont remember if it was for Christmas or our birthdays or what, but one year when we were young, Daddy made these clocks for us cousins (Lindy, Tracy and Myself... Ashley and Tyler hadn't come along yet). He got a picture of each of us and made it a part of the clock along with our names. My clock has a picture from the little miss dacula pageant I was in when i was FIVE! (No worries, it was nothing like toddlers and tiara's!) It has been hanging in our extra bedroom for years and while I've loved having it displayed, I've always assumed it no longer worked. Well, when we were getting Rhyan's new room ready, Jeff said he thought it'd be cute to use it in her room so he got a new battery for it and voila! it worked!!!! WHO KNEW?!

So we decided that even though it is 25ish years old and not really Rhyans, it was a perfect way to share her "Papa" with her as she gets older. She also has a dresser that sits below it that was mine growing up and the changing table is a piece made by Jeff's "Pepere" who was another fabulously talented craftsman.

We just hope to be able to share our grandfather's legacy's with our kids the way our parents have with us. We are so blessed!

No comments: