Thursday, May 29, 2014

24 week checkup

I was SO excited when I got a call from Dr Pohls office before my 24 week check up saying that Nikki was going to redo my scan at no charge to check for cleft palate and try to get a profile shot! I thought it was so sweet of her!!!

This appointment was also the one where they do the glucose test. Honestly, its not a big deal to me. The drink they gave me was cherry flavored this time instead of the orange and I didnt think it tasted bad at all. The only thing I dont like is that you have to drink it within 5 minutes once you start it and I'm just not one to drink in general large amounts at once. But I did. And it was fine. Actually, I was at Rhyan's 5 year check up waiting for her to be taken back when I had to drink it! I'll post about her check up soon :-)

So when we (Rhyan and I) first got to Dr Pohls, Pam (the nurse) had to go ahead and do my bloodwork first. It has to be done right at one hour after you drink it. Rhyan's appointment had run late so we were lucky to have gotten there literally within a few minutes of that hour mark! When she took the blood, my vein blew and it was the strangest sound... But luckily she had gotten all the blood she needed!

Then, Nikki took us back for the scan. I was SO glad Rhyan was able to be there. I told Nikki that I was thinking of doing a 3D scan and was wondering if Rhyan would be able to tell about what the baby looked like if we did it and she said "lets see!" and flipped it over to 3D for a few seconds. Rhyan could totally tell about the baby's face! It was so sweet! Nikki told me that the 3D scan works better when the face is fuller and there is more tissue for the ultrasound to work with so she recommended doing it around 28-29 weeks. She said that 30 weeks and beyond the baby generally doesnt move around much and makes for a fairly boring scan but that 28-29 is usually pretty good b/c the face is nice and full and the baby can still move around a good bit. SO... I'm a sucker and while I've never done one before, I scheduled it! Mostly b/c I think the kids will like it, but also because there are other things that i've done with both Rhyan and Mack (handwritten journals of each pregnancy) that i've not done this go round (simply bc life has been crazy busy!) so I'd like to do some things this pregnancy that I didnt do with them to make up for it!

Back to the scan! The baby moved around a decent amount and we heard the heartbeat (155) and saw the cute little profile of our little girl. I asked if she would check again and make sure it was a girl (we had, at that point, not yet told ANYONE, including Rhyan and Mack!) before we told anyone and she said she'd be glad to. But then the baby kept her legs CLOSED and would NOT move! So Lets hope the 20 week scan was accurate, right?!

Nikki said the palate looked good and snapped a few profile shots for us. The baby was yawning a good bit during the scan so she got one of her with her mouth open b/c Nikki thought it was cute ;-). I was thinking about how that goes to prove the whole "you yawn b/c you need more oxygen" theory wrong b/c a baby doesnt even breathe till they are born (is that so weird to anyone else!?!) and get all their oxygen directly through the cord!

We finished up the scan and then went into an exam room to wait for Dr Pohl. Thankfully, he didnt take long at all that day! Since Rhyan was with me, I was a little concerned about the wait ;-). Basically, Dr Pohl reviewed my stats... and wow.
At my 24 week check up I had gained a total of 11 lbs so far. SEVEN of which were from week 20-24.
OUCH!
He didnt make a big deal about it at all so I mentioned that I needed to be more careful and he assured me that 11lbs total for 24 weeks is very healthy and fine and that I do so well keeping my weight in check in the beginning that I leave myself room for an "off" month or so. And that most women have their biggest month of gain from 20-24 weeks! He's told me that with each pregnancy and I know it to be true. But 7 lbs still bugged me! Because I know that it was because I was eating JUNK. Our disney trip ruined me!

He also measured for fundal height which was dead on at 24cm. Yay for a normal sized baby... so far!

I asked him briefly about if we would need to get a pertussis vaccine and he assured me that YES. Whooping cough is back on the rise as a result of people getting the vaccine as a kid and never getting a booster shot. But really, how is anyone supposed to know which vaccines to get a booster of?! Unless our dr's handle that at a yearly checkup (which they DONT!), who thinks to keep up with that? Anyways, he said that its on the rise and that the main caregivers for the baby will need a booster shot. That includes mainly me and preferably soon so the immunities can get passed onto the baby, Jeff, grandparents and any additional regular caregivers (Tracy). He also said that the easiest way to do it is to call your local pharmacy and let them know you need it and they can order and administer it at the pharmacy and bill the insurance and avoid a dr co-pay. Hopefully, that will work! And hopefully our sweet family will participate and protect our sweet baby :-). Apparently there have been infant deaths here in GA as a result of the whooping cough. Scary!

And that was pretty much it. In and out. In regards to the glucose test, no news is good news. And since i've heard nothing, I assume I'm good to go :-)

24 weeks... healthy and growing. And technically at the point of viability. So if for some reason I did go into labor at this point, survival rate is pretty good (although far from ideal). Landmark week!

Here are pics from 25 weeks...


 


No comments: