The 20 week ultrasound... its a biggie!
Ok, so maybe I shouldnt blog this but its my memories and my book soooo...
Leading up to this appointment was a rough, rough (understatement) time for Jeff and I. We had just sold the house (post to come... just trying to get all the pregnancy posts done), moved 2 weeks after putting it on the market and I was stressed to the max. And he was stressed. And we were not getting along very well. Eh, everyone has rough patches, right? Good news: we didnt kill each other and made it though. HA!
Jeff didnt plan to come to this ultrasound with me. Which honestly crushed me. He has come to BOTH Rhyan and Mack's 20 week ultrasound and I felt like kid #3 was already getting jipped! NOT ok! So I was very honest with him and he ended up deciding to come. BUT... he wanted to find out the sex of the baby and I didnt. So here we were, not getting along great AND at odds about this!
Jeff suggested that as a positive thing for the two of us to share (and some positive momentum) that we find out together and then just keep it between the two of us for a while, till things settled a bit. So thats what we did. *I honestly regret finding out, friends! This is likely our last baby and was our last chance to be surprised. While it was super good for Jeff and I, I hate that the surprise is taken away!!! :-(
On to the appointment.
We had the time for the ultrasound at 3:00 with an appointment with Dr Pohl right after. Nikki, the ultrasound tech, got us right back! In fact, Jeff was a few minutes late and we started without him, looking for the vital things like organs. But NO peeks between the legs! Everything looked really good. She said I was measuring exactly to the day where I should be. Yay!
When Jeff got there we looked around some more and the baby I guess fell asleep. Nikki was trying to see the baby's face to make sure there was fusion of the palate (eliminating cleft palate) but the baby wouldnt move. I moved from side to side... coughed a good bit, etc. Nothing was waking that baby up!
So we moved on to try to see the gender...
And after a while of getting some decent positioning, we saw
Jeff had already said "allright. we're looking for 3 lines!". He was hoping for a sister for Rhyan. I was seriously fine either way, but he loves having girls. Dont get me wrong, he's super glad to have a boy, too. But I think he feels like one of Mack is enough. HA!
We were of course excited and most of all grateful for the health of the baby! I was BUMMED though to have not gotten a profile shot of the baby at all. I like to post a pic of the profile in the baby's room and to not have one from the 13 week OR this one really bummed me out! But Nikki said she would say it was an "incomplete" or "inconclusive" scan and see if Dr Pohl would ok her doing it again (just a quick one) at my 24 week check so we could check the palate and get a profile shot!
We went back to the waiting room where Jeff literally fell asleep while we waited for Dr Pohl. I mean, snoring loudly kind of sleep. To where EVERYONE in the waiting room looked and chuckled. I *may* have let him go for a minute and recorded it for him while people laughed ;-). I'm a good wife, right?!
I woke him up and told him to head on and get things done and I'd wait solo for the Dr. And boy am I glad I did. I didnt get called back till 4:40 and didnt get seen by him till after 5pm. We had gotten there at 3pm! On the upside, I got in a little nap in the privacy of an exam room while I waited.
And what a waste of time, too. All he did was review the findings of the ultrasound and say everything looks great and I headed out. I wasnt up for asking any questions or getting into conversation seeing as how it was almost dinner time and we were both wanting to get out. That is the longest I've ever waited... he was so backed up! He's totally worth the wait (i LOVE my dr) but I would have preferred they bill my ins co for the appt and let me skip it, honestly! HA!
So 20 weeks and looking good... with our baby GIRL!
I forgot to do any official 20 week pics, so here are a couple from Disney, which was right at the 20/21 week mark
No comments:
Post a Comment