Sunday, August 31, 2014

Rhyan's Pre-K Graduation!

HOW is it that it seems like just yesterday that she jumped out of the van heading off to her first day of pre-K (leaving ME in tears) and here we were already at the end of her first year of "school"!?!?

On her last day of school we sent a couple of little goodies for her teachers as a "thank you" for a great experience in pre-k! They really set the stage for Rhyan to love school and learning and I appreciate them SO much! Mrs Stacy and Mrs Amy were so loving and precious and kind and Rhyan learned so much! In their little planters was a thank you card, $5 starbucks giftcard, $5 target giftcard and a sweet treat.


That night was her graduation ceremony. She told me before we ever left that she didnt want to do the graduation and just wanted to go see her friends. We tried really hard preparing her for what graduation would be but she just kept saying "no, i dont want to do that". I was very hopeful that she would participate.
 
When we got there she did not yet have her robe on... and she cried and cried when we got to her classroom saying she didnt want to wear it. I tried gently encouraging but had to do what i always end up having to do with Rhyan... just telling her she WAS going to wear it and no more crying. So she put it on and was fine with it. Mrs Amy invited her to come sit and listen to Mrs Stacy read them all a book one last time... which happened to be a book I had brought in with Rhyan that evening... "Oh, the places you will go". So Rhyan joined in and I snuck out to find the rest of the family and get seated!

Mrs Lisa has been pre-school director for quite some time now and honestly, she does a fantastic job! She clearly loves the kids and is passionate about them enjoying their time at Hebron!
After the introductions, etc, they showed a slideshow with pics of the kids through the year.!!! Sweet!



And then the procession started. Rhyan's class was about the 3rd class to come out. Mrs Stacy was head of the line with the first kid from the class (all in alphabetical order)
When Rhyan got to the doorway, I could tell she was a little upset...


I was sitting in the end seat of our row and as soon as she saw me, she made a B-Line for me! She was done. Which was fine, really. I know I got some comments saying "I cant believe you didnt make her walk after her family came to see the ceremony!", etc. But let me just make this clear: There are a LOT of things in life that my kids will HAVE to do that they dont want to do. Pre-K graduation ceremony... NOT one of those things. As much as I hated it that family took time to come and then she wouldnt participate, in all honesty, the ceremony isnt about the family. Its a time for Rhyan to celebrate with her class her accomplishment. If she didnt want to participate, I was not about to make her go kicking and screaming. "Hey, Rhyan, great job at pre-k! Now go be miserable and perform for the family". NO. Not happening.
 
So, we watched the ceremony and I asked several more times if she wanted me to walk down with her so she could walk across the stage when they called her name but she didnt want to. Rhyan doesnt like to be the center of attention at all (unless she knows everyone!). So, she sat in my lap during the ceremony.

After, the church hosted a little cookie social to congratulate the kids! She was much more comfortable there and we got a few great pics of her with some of her favorite people!

Rhyan and Mrs Amy (gosh, she was SO precious!!)
Rhyan and her best bud/carpool buddy, Jackson!

Mrs Amy, Rhyan and Mrs Stacy (her lead teacher!)


And of course with Gran and Grandad!





Mack was in one of his "dont take my picture" moods. Oh, what a pure joy that boy is. :-/

My mom came to the ceremony as well but had to leave at the end so she didnt get to stay for the cookie social part... but she was, as we all were, super proud of Rhyan :-)

Where is time going?!

No comments: