Saturday, November 2, 2013

Elijah

June was a crazy, emotional roller coaster for our family. I cant remember the exact date, but somewhere around June 16th, my cousin Elijah was hit while riding his bike. I guess he's actually my 2nd cousin... Tracys (who keeps the kids while we work) son. I got a private message from a girl I used to go to church with who lives in the same neighborhood at Tracy and her family. She said she had heard that a teen boy was hit in their neighborhood and thought it was the 3rd house on the left and wondered if that was my family.. I almost couldnt breathe. I told Jeff about the message and said that I couldnt get any answers (no one was picking up phones) and that I felt i needed to head over there and see. I had no clue what to do.

When I drove up, the scene had been cleared (meaning whoever hit the bicyclist and the bicyclist). I asked the police officer if he could tell me anything and told him my fear was that it was my cousin. He said he wasnt sure but that the people in the neighborhood who were out and about probably knew. About that time, i ran into Tracy's good friend, Kristen, who lives a few houses down. She confirmed that it was Elijah. And the police officer confirmed that he had been life flighted to Egleston. I just broke down crying. I called my cousin, Lindy (Tracy's sister) and she said that they were on their way to the hospital and that she didnt really know anything except that he was critical. I got home and told Jeff that while I didnt know what to do, I knew we should be at the hospital. That if the roles were reversed, i KNEW Tracy would be there for me. So we called my mom who came and sat with the kids (who were in bed) and made tracks to Atlanta.

 When we got there the waiting room was already loaded with people from their church and friends and family... it was overwhelming to see how many people had come out to support them! We then learned that Elijah was in a coma and on life support and that they were giving hour by hour reports. It was so much to take in, even for me... I cant fathom how Tracy and Kevin felt. And Marsha and Bobby! I honestly think that things like this are almost harder on the grandparents becuase they not only worried about Elijah, but they also have their daughter who is heart broken to think of. What a helpless feeling. The chaplin came in (he was an interesting, really good guy) and encouraged us all to go around and give thanks for something as a way to remind us of Gods goodness. It was so encouraging to hear young teens claiming Gods promises over Elijah's life. I remember saying to Tracy that "this will be a part of his testimony of Gods goodness in his life. this isnt the end. its a part of his story". And honestly, i truly believed it. I just had this peace that Elijah would make it.

 Turns out, he was a class 3 brain injury (which is the worst injury) and over the next few days he remained in a coma as they did surgery on his leg which was badly broken. His face was all scratched up (aka: raw) and he had a huge fracture in his skull. They were having to monitor his fluid levels on his brain to see if they would need to put in a shunt to drain. My mind kept going back to Trip Halstead and everything he has come through. And while it was comforting, it was also scary to think about the fact that Elijah could live but not have the same quality of life. I'm telling you, those thoughts are the ones that made me take a look at my faith... would we trust the Lord to not only allow Elijah to live but to return him to his old self. And why is that, btw... that its easier to trust in the Lord for life and death situations and more difficult in the details of the outcome. That bugs me :-(

Lonnnnnng story short, Elijah has over come SO much. Here we are just over 4 months since his accident and he is back in school, in his GIFTED classes and doing SO well. He has worked so hard to get to where he's at today, but none of it could have happened without the grace of God and his mercy.
He went from this pic above to the one below in just a few short weeks!
Its been a rough summer for him and I know its been so hard to see his friends lead normal lives while he has been fighting to get back to "normal". But Jeff and I are SO proud of him and for him!

While everything was going on, this little lady lived like a gypsy! HA! Obviously her mom and dad needed to be at the hospital as much as possible so she spent the summer wandering around and landed at out home one night! She ended up sleeping with me (and oh my... kids sleep crazy!) and came with us the next day to Lanier World! We had a great time spending time with her :-)






God has been so good to see our family through this summer and bring us out all with a stronger faith! I am so grateful for Tracy, Kevin, Elijah and Lydia and its been such a joy to see them overcome every obstacle!

No comments: