Monday, November 8, 2010

Ahhhhh... welcome back, computer!

So, as i mentioned a week or so ago, our computer has been on the fritz. Jeff was trying to get AT&T to help him figure out if it was a computer problem or an internet problem (the internet kept shutting down) but he mentioned the word "virus" while he was on the phone w/ them and they refused to help anymore. Really?! Thanks for the great customer service.

BUT, I ended up downloading all of the "updates" available for our computer and guess what?! That seemed to fix the issue. Praise the Lord! So now, I can get back to updating!

I'll start with what has been going on most recently: Rhyan's 18 month checkup.

Her stats were as follows:
Height: 33.5 inches (92%)
Weight: 26lbs 9.1oz (79%)
Head Circumference: 18.5 inches (62%)

Dr Messick (the best pediatrician EVER) said she looks great. He said that her tummy looked like a toddler tummy should (aka: huge) and that he felt certain she wasnt being deprived of food. lol. On a side note, while I fix her breakfast, lunch or dinner, she whines incessantly as if she will absolutely STARVE if she doesnt eat immediately. Somehow, she survives till its done.

As far as milestones to report, there arent many. She continues to eat well, sleep well and learn. She is enjoying playing with playdough recently and is learning new words all the time. She shakes her head "yes" and "no" to answer and seems to understand truly everything we tell her. She has added several words but my favorites are "Ashes, Ashes" (as in ring around the rosies...), "pud" (for spud) and "off" when she wants her socks off or wants to turn a light off, etc.
She is very playful, especially during times of getting dressed. She basically wants you to chase her down, catch her and then try to dress her while she wiggles and giggles the whole time. Fun if you have the time, not so funny when you're rushed. She doesnt seem to grasp the concept of "we're running late" yet, so its a little difficult for her to understand why I sometimes play along and other times tell her she has to sit still. :-(

She still absolutely loves to read/be read to. She is also becoming quite fond of her stuffed monkey that angela gave her. We started putting it in her bed for her to sleep with (more for it to be there when she woke up to play with) around 14 months old, i think. I cant remember. But she now rubs it against her face, wants to give it hugs and kisses before getting out of bed in the a.m. and if we take it out of the bed to change sheets, she wants to put him back quickly.
Just this past week, she started pointing to her eye ("I"), then crossing her arms ("love") and pointing to me or Jeff ("you!"). My mom taught her that. Its precious!

She still loves water and really likes to take showers with me. She does seem to be pointing out our "differences" more and more lately, so idk how much longer that will be appropriate. I thought she was young to notice stuff like that?

She is also loving playing outside now that its cooler. Rhyan is super hot natured and it was hard in the summer to let her play outside too long, especially with the HOT summer we've had. Her little face would get beet red and she'd sweat like a man. So this cooler weather has been a nice reprieve for her! (although i freeze when i take her out!)

Lastly, we've noticed that she's doing something that Mommie said i was obsessed with as a child: checking her toes for "toe jam" (as we all it around here). She wants to inspect her toes at least a couple of times a day, or every time we take her socks off (which she asks us to do so she can check!). It's pretty hilarous.

In regards to babywise, i've kind of fallen off the wagon. When Rhyan became discontent in her playpen for independent playtime (around 13 months old), I never moved to room time. This is a huge regret of mine. I am anticipating going back and working on this in the next few weeks. I've noticed her becoming more and more whiney and clingy and i KNOW this has something to do with it. It may not be the entire reason, but its part of it. Especially now that outside time is becoming limited due to cold weather, its so crucial that she learn to be content playing inside and using her imagination.

Well, thats about it! I'll work on getting pics up and getting back onto updating this thing! As a side note, I FINALLY got finished w/ my 2009 blog book (i turned my blog into a book!) and its fantastic. It really makes me want to make sure to not forget to keep this updated!

Looking forward to all of the holidays coming.... and BOY are they coming FAST!