Saturday, October 8, 2011

Helpful Hygiene Tips: Products I love!

There are a few products that help me stay in tip top smiling shape. And i thought i'd share in case anyone's interested!

First, I simply cannot live without my Oral B Triumph. I love how clean it makes my teeth feel and how I can use it while I'm preggo and not flossing (gasp! yes, i skip flossing in one of the most important times to floss... I'm sick, peeps. Give me a break!) and my gums stay in decent shape.
This brush is NOT cheap, though. It'll run well over $100 at any store! TIP: most electric toothbrushes are a little messy (they splatter toothpaste!) so i keep mine in the shower and just use it in there for the morning and then my manual (oral b crossaction) at night.
But for any patient who I feel can benefit from an electric toothbrush, I recommend the Oral B vitality. An almost equally fabulous brush, but without all the technology, therefore it is priced at a MUCH lower price point. Closer to $25. Now we're talking.
In any case, the things you want to look for in ANY electric brush would be 1. Rechargable 2. Small brush head and 3. A two minute timer. Both of these meet all of those requirements.

Next on my "must have's" list would be these little gems. Butler/GUM's softpicks. They are a flexible plastic that you use kind of like a toothpick instead of floss. Yes, i said instead of floss. Music to some of your ears, i'm sure :-) They are not quite as effective as flossing, but they are WAY better than not cleaning between your teeth at all. While I"m pregnant, these are what i try to use.

I also am in looooove with Crest Pro-Health rinse. It is equally as effective as listerine but without the burn of alcohol. (*side note: listerine's active ingredients are 4 essential oils and the alcohol is simply what keeps the oils mixed. but the alcohol itself is NOT the alcohol.) It comes in a "day" and "night" solution. TIP: they are exactly the same. EXACTLY. It's a gimmic to try to get consumers to by two bottles. (same with the pro-health toothpaste. the same exact paste in a different package). I like the night time best b/c its clear and I prefer the clear for whatever reason.



Finally, my absolute FAVORITE toothpaste is Colgate sensitive. Any sensitive toothpaste seems to work fine for me (except aquafresh sensitive, which is odd b/c aquafresh is made by glaxo-smith-kelin... the same makers of sensodyne!) so I buy whatever is most cost effective. TIP: toothpaste is not really necessary at all. So dont get caught up in which one is "best". Toothpaste is like soap. It makes you smell better and feel better. But its the actual toothbrush (washcloth) that cleans you. Find one that you like the taste of that you dont have any adverse reactions to and go for it. If your teeth are sensitive, avoid whitening toothpastes and tartar control pastes as they will increase sensitivity. Otherwise, find what you like.
Well, thats about it for my must have's. What products can you not live without?!

No comments: