Thursday, August 4, 2011

10 Year Anniversary

As I sit here typing, I'm watching Rhyan literally walk all over her Daddy, asking for pony rides and him happily obliging. This is only one reason I love him. One of a million.

I'll write a little history in case some stranger is reading this and really, so that when this blog becomes a book and we're too old to remember how we met and what the first few years were like, we'll have a reference.

The spring after I turned 15, my Daddy encouraged me to get a part time job. I applied at Kroger in Lawrenceville and got a job as a bagger. Apparently, the managers recognized my mad accounting skillz and before it was even "legal", moved me up to being a cashier (you have to be 16 for this job). I had been working as a cashier for a couple of months when one day, there was a new guy working the register behind me.

He was immediately drawn to my printed panties that you could clearly see through my white skort (obviously, i didnt know this until he told me years later). He was flirtatious. I acted appalled. But i wasnt. :-)

We flirted so much so that the managers had to move us to opposite ends of the lanes... me closer to the express checkout and Jeff on lane 12 or something really far away. Still, we found times to chat :-)

We flirted and chatted a good 2 months before going out for the first time. As i mentioned before, I was only 15 and wasnt allowed to date until 16. I had told him this and he seemed ok with it. Although, honestly, he had not asked me on a date. It was obvious that we both liked each other, but he was a little gun shy about asking me on a date.

So a few days before I turned 16, I slipped him my phone number and said it'd be nice to have someone take me out for my birthday and that I wondered who that would be. (hint, hint). Looking back, i made it too easy for him :-)

So he started calling and i guess he eventually officially asked me out. I wouldnt have gone out w/ him unless he did, but i dont remember the actual asking out of said date...

He picked me up from work and took me home so that he could meet my parents before we went out. Rest assured that my Daddy had already done a background check to make sure he was a good guy from a good family (interesting seeing as how if anyone did a background check on my family, i'm sure i'd be banned from dating their sons...).

Daddy asked if Jeff did drugs. "no sir". Did he drink. "no sir". Did he smoke. "no sir".
And it was at this point that my Daddy brought out this MASSIVE, slightly rusted needle that he used to get epidural injections with and said "good, then you wont mind me taking some blood and running some tests"... to which jeff said "ok" and put his arm out. I'm pretty sure he would have DIED if my Daddy would have gone toward him with the needle... and i'm also pretty sure he was seriously hoping Daddy was kidding. But daddy also had his double barrel shotgun sitting beside him, so idk what jeff was thinking other than "what the crap have i done by asking this girl out!?

I'm dead serious. Not making any of this up. For real

Daddy and Jeff proceeded to the back yard where they sat in the gazebo where they sat for literally almost an hour. Apparently Daddy was giving him the "be respectful of my daughter, touch her and you're dead" speech and Jeff was thinking more of "omg, i'm never coming back here", i'm sure.

So, after all of that, we were given permission to go out. Whew. (just fyi, i had brought one guy home before that was allowed to stay for dinner but who i was NOT allowed out with and another guy I had told daddy the name of and he came back to me a week later saying not to even invite him over. I'm telling you, he did background checks for real. Good glory.)

We dated for 3 years and then got engaged (way too young, i may add) and were engaged 2 years before getting married. We both had to finish college after we got married and that made the first few years of marriage a little interesting (and broke) but its been good.

I say all of that to say this. It may seem like Jeff was my ONLY choice of guys to date (of who was approved by Daddy), but thats not why we were together. I sincerely find him to be the most likeable, kind, funny guys i've ever known. He makes a few too many jokes sometimes for my taste, but if thats the most annoying thing about him, i think we'll be ok :-)

I'm blessed to be Mrs. Jeff Ford. I love that we share our lives together. Kids. A home. The whole 9 yards.

I love you, Jeff. I have for the 15 years we've been together and I will until death does us part.

No comments: